Monday, November 20, 2017

Shoulder shield

In the comments on my previous post I was asked to write more about the shoulder shield. There is not so much to tell about it apart from the fact it gives more structure and a little firmness to that area of a jacket.

Browsing through my blog photos I found quite a few photos of shoulder shield I installed in jackets. The floating one is a technique I’ve use only in the past two years, I think I found the instructions for this in Alison Smith’s Craftsy class.

A good introduction to the inner construction of jacket can be found in aThreads magazine article on an Armani jacket. A good reference book, I’ve recommended it before is Tailoring, two editions have different covers:

image or image

I have quite a collection of sewing books and books on tailoring are a special category in those. From all books I’ve learned something, but this book is quite often the first one to take from the book shelves when I want to check upon something on the subject of interfacing.

I don’t remember when I first started to use a shoulder shield, it’s been in jackets that I made 10 years ago.

Below photos of the inner construction of jackets I’ve made in the past years. Different ways of construction, but always a shoulder shield.

 

2 comments: