Skip to main content

Top finished

The top I drafted is made up in fashion fabric. A remnant piece that I found at the fabric market last year. Did not know the contents but as it was a “Sigrid” fabric (as one of my friends immediately said when I showed the picture in our Whatsapp group) I had to buy it.

It was not complicated to draft and an easy make too. Only the point of the v-neckline requires some thought and I might do it a little different next time. There certainly will be a next time as I like the neckline a lot. The pleat is not something I will repeat too often, but it’s a nice detail.



This was the original inspiration garment.


PS: thanks to those who commented on keeping a diary of my allotment plans a few posts ago. I’m experimenting with OneNote and an (old-fashioned?) paper notebook. It crossed my mind to start a blog about it too, but I’m such a beginner. Plus the time it takes. Might change my mind.

Perhaps I’ll do a closing picture occassionally like this, my tomato seedlings and part of the plot (after some work has been done).




  1. The top worked out nicely! And I love your plot. Wish I had one....

  2. The top is excellent, and is a lovely fit. We had an allotment for about seven years, but I and I thought you might like to consider setting up an Excel spreadsheet and that way you can map out what you plant where each year. I think there is also a website/software which you can use for this. An allotment is addictive and takes up quite a lot of time, not just weeding, digging and planting but also preparing the lovely vegetables you will be picking, and a large freezer and lots of preserving bottles come in very handy. I do hope you get great enjoyment from it, but sewing time might suffer a bit.

  3. I love the top and the fabric. It may be A Sigrid fabric but it's also an Anne fabric! And top.
    I have a largish garden and struggle with it these days. At one point I was quite diligent about planning and recording etc. I'd prefer a gardener now! I didn't sew when I gardened. But good luck with your plans.

  4. WOW....I think this is a dynamite make! Especially like the neckline because of the V and how it hugs the neck.....great fab as well. Good luck with your garden.

  5. Very nice top, the neckline is very flattering I like it a lot. I am with you with the pleat, those pleasts look better when the neckline is lower and wider in my opinion. Tomato seeds already popping up, lets us see how many tomatos you will get:) Tomatos are hard to grow, espicially when you take the organic path.

  6. Beautiful top! That neckline looks perfect on its own, as well as under a variety of jackets (unlike some collars that only work with a certain style of jacket).

  7. The top looks great! It's so nice that you saw something that you liked and was able to easily draft it. It fits you fabulously.

  8. You do such a great job recreating your inspiration pieces.

  9. Gorgeous top and the neckline sit perfectly, so satisfying.


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).