Saturday, November 29, 2014

Canterbury – part three

Our sewcation together is almost over, one evening to go and tomorrow morning it’s an English breakfast (by tradition), cleaning up and going back home.

Who would have thought November 29 would be such a glorious day.

DSC_0933 DSC_0942DSC_0937

A photo from outside in, it’s quite a sewing ‘mess’.

DSC_0935

Marta in a top she’s not happy with. a Vogue pattern that did not work as expected/hoped. Several of us tried it on but it díd not do a lot of good on any of us. Unfortunatuely trashed….

DSC_0944

I’ve been working on a jacket again. This time I’m using a bouclé fabric I bought years ago and has been waiting in my closet as I was too afraid of sewing it into a wadder or to the amount of time it would take to make it. I always intended to make a more or less French (Chanel) jacket from it which as most of you know is taking a lot of hand sewing and a huge amount of time. Recently I realised that I’m not that much attracted to follow the exact construction of such a classic jacket, nor do I want the classic neckline or trim. It just does not suit me and I would not wear the jacket. No use putting that amount of time into it then. Being me I am using my own vision on how I want it to be and how I want to construct it. Basically I wanted to try the quilted lining, not all the other details.

DSC_0915 DSC_0916 DSC_0918

I decided early on I wanted a lapel collar and drafted the pattern I used for my brown jacket slightly. The muslins collar is more narrow than the final garment. The sleeves are changed to a 3 piece sleeve. In this way the vent will be more visible.

 

Front piece interfaced (quilted) with silk oranza, added roll line and a stay tape at the edge.

 DSC_0945     

The collar, one side done with the trim showing between the layers. It has a little sparkle that’s a bit outside my comfort zone but I quite like it.

DSC_0948

 DSC_0947

It won’t be finished today, though I hope to at least sew the other collar. I did quilt the lining and most of its seamlines still have to be sewn. That I will do by hand.

I can heartily recommend a sewcation like this, spending a few days with likeminded people. You should have seen a couple of us this morning: risen early and cutting patterns, sewing in our pj’s. No one but sewing friends will understand that. No photos of that though ;)

3 comments:

  1. I love your fabric. No surprise there, it's in 'my' colors! I have to say that I am not attracted to the classic Chanel jacket either. It's just not suited for my body or style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bit of bling on the edge is really nice. I am so jealous of your time in Canterbury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your jacket is going to be lovely. Its looking good already!

    ReplyDelete