Skip to main content

BWOF jacket

How nice to read your comments on the fabric I showed. When I use it, it will be for a top, as I only have 1.5 meter (less than 2 yards). There were some ideas I didn’t think of myself, so it was a good idea to post a picture. Thank you for the inspiration.
Looking back in my posts I found that it’s been almost a month since I last posted about the jacket I’m making. The consequence of working on two major projects at once, getting sidetracked and time issues. I’ve sewn the lining and apart from sewing on the buttons and inserting the lining, the jacket is finished. Next post will show finished pictures.
I realized that I’ve never shown the muslin in detail, and want to do that now, to complete the total picture and for my own reference later.

Well, I hope the pictures will be visible when I publish this post. I see new options in my Picasa webalbum, but only one picture is showing in my draft in Live Writer. Never had this problem before.
The muslin was made in the way that is described by Susan Khalje in the latest Threads issue. I got the instruction through Robin, who did a class with Kenneth King and Susan Khalje last year and invited me to the fitting session with Kenneth King. The second picture shows the line KK drafted on the center back. His line indicates where the center back should have been, there is more space necessary on my left side. As I wrote earlier, it was wonderful to see him working on the pattern. Super fast too.
On the inside of the jacket I interfaced the front, made a shoulder and back stay. Difficult to photograph when the jacket is almost finished.


  1. This is a great post! As a beginner, I love to see construction details like this. It's very interesting and all new to me. I can't wait to see your finished jacket.

  2. Your muslin looks so nice- just as a musline! It is interesting to see the underlining. I understand the back- you used a fusible to stabilize the fabric and used a woven for the back shield, right? On the front, did you add add the chest shield to the underlining before attaching it to the pattern pieces? And did you fuse the front as well? It looks beautiful. I can see a bit of the black bands and it looks really nice! I am looking forward to seeing the finished jacket.

  3. Your muslin is so details - puts me to shame! I plan to make this jacket next winter, so am watching from the sidelines with interest.

  4. Thanks for showing the details of your jacket construction.I look forward to seeing the finished jacket!

  5. Your jacket is going to be stunning. I love seeing how your muslin process works.


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.

Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.

My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…

A new to me pattern company

If you’ve been reading my blog for a long time you know I’m not too much into Indie designers. After the initial hype a few names/brands have survived that offer more than just a simple pencil skirt at a ridiculous price. I still haven’t tried many but this time I was intrigued enough to buy the Wenona shirt pattern from Named Clothing.I saw a review on this shirt that made me look further. Must have lived under the proverbial rock because I’ve never seen or noticed it before and it has some nice details and there are some nice variations to be found (here and here for example). Though I’m certainly not the first one to try this pattern, I’ll post my experiences with it in this and upcoming posts. The pattern is a pdf pattern. I’m not fond of them, but have grown accustomed to the idea that it’s the way it is now. Sometimes it is instant gratification if you want the pattern fast or don’t want to pay high shipping costs.Notes on the pdf fileAvailable in English and FinnishLots of inst…