Sunday, January 3, 2010

Threads magazine archive

I see this dvd as a sort of birthday present. My birthday is in February, but I still had some money from last year that I didn’t spend, as I wanted to do something special with it. This was what I bought (thanks mum):

image   image

It’s the Threads archives, containing all Threads magazines from 1985 till the last issue of 2009. It arrived yesterday and of course I had to install it almost right away and take a look at the contents and possibilities. Installation was easy, first time I started the program it gave an error message, but haven’t had that one again and it works without any problems.

WOW, what information! All of the magazines is there, all pages, including the advertisements. I’ve not yet read whole articles in depth, but already know this was worth the investment. Funny to see that on the early issues there are no internet addresses. Time flies, I can’t think of life without internet any more.

image

I tried the Search option and it’s very fast. Type “Chanel” as word you’re searching for and you get the results below: complete articles on Chanel, but also issues where a reference to Chanel is made. Double clicking on the page opens the issue at that specific page.

 image

By default the word(s) you were looking for are highlighted.

image  image

Another great possibility is to add an article or page to your Favorites. You can even rename an article to your own preference. The first favorite in below picture first just had a reference to a page number, and I renamed it to be more specific.

image 

Browsing is easy, you can easily move forward and backward through the pages, and zoom in or out. Printing is also possible.

As you can see from above, I’m very happy with this dvd and it will certainly suit my “needs”. I’ve bought several older issues on E-bay, which is quite expensive with shipping costs, and now I have them all. There’s one thing that’s less good: the resolution of text and pictures is not as high as in the original magazines, and some details of the pictures are a bit less clear than in the magazine itself (I compared with an issue I have). But I can easily live with that.

I’m looking forward to take a break occassionally from work and browse these magazines.

23 comments:

  1. I've been trying to talk myself into buying this for months now. Finally decided to get it on New Years Eve, called and they were closed. I'm calling on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on the fence about this too. So nice to hear that it was worth it. it would be a wonderful addition to a library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering about this CD. I am now strongly tempted. It would certainly help to eliminate my pile of back issues and actually be much more useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for an excellent review of the DVD! It is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beware before you buy this. There are articles missing. And yes Tauton knows all about it, they just aren't telling that you don't get all the articles, though I see they have changed the ads to say "almost all" the articles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review. I have been wondering about this. I have a lot of the magazines and they do take up space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful present. I'm anxiously awaiting the occasion that I can order this for myself.
    Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wondered whether its worth buying it too; I've got a large archive of issues. It's good to know that it's so easy to access everything on the DVD. I'd also free up quite a bit of shelf space if I get the DVD. Easier to locate articles. Sounds like winner. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the review. I've been wondering what the DVD series is like and if I should invest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My sisters gave me this for Christmas, and I'm loving it! My only problem is the pages are vertical and my computer screen is horizontal, so I have to keep scrolling up and down to read an article. I am intrigued by the ads, too, particularly when a "all-new" sewing machine or serger comes out. Fun! -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the review. I have this DVD coming via a friend from America and am really looking forward to getting it...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, your review help me make the decision to buy the DVD. I have been sewing for just a year, and I am a sewing magazine junkie... I can't stop reading about sewing. This will surely keep me busy reading for a while. I won't be throwing out the 2009 issue I already bought, as per the comment above from Anonymous, there are some articles missing. Thanks for that info.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too, I have also been considering buying this DVD. You answered all my questions about it, so it is going on my WANT list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you! You will definitely enjoy all the information on the DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want this DVD, but the cost has prevented me form ordering it immediately. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great gift! I'm thinking about ordering the DVD also, and eliminating the stack of magazines that take up so much room!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for the review. I was wondering about this dvd. It's much easier to make the purchase when someone else is happy with it. I may have to put this on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the review, Sigrid. I bought this for myself for Christmas (or whatever!) and am just waiting for it to arive. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Threads is one of those treasures and to have it all on DVD would be excellent. But there is something divine about thumbing through them which I adore! But then I have most of these back issues - fortunately I realized how great they were early on and have saved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh, I've been eyeing this as well. Lucky you! And happy early birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review, like many others I have been thinking about investing in this and getting rid of my old magazines, the search feature looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sigrid, lucky you! I saw this and SO wanted this, but the price was a bit too high for me right now. Enjoy it! It sounds like a great reference.

    ReplyDelete