Skip to main content

New Look 6799 - muslin

After the skirt came out so good (thank you for all your nice comments), the pressure on the New Look dress/jacket combination is a bit less. In any case I can wear the skirt to my friends party, so this combination will be needed a bit later in september, which means that I can complete it after the holidays if needed. As I'm finally have some time again (it's been too crazy for too long with work) I shouldn't stress about sewing, don't you think?

The dress I plan to make definitely needed a muslin, in fact, it needed two. 

This is the first muslin I made, and when I tried it the camera batteries were not charged, so no pictures on me. I have only sewn a New Look t-shirt once, so I'm not familiar with their sizing and how accurate it is in patterns for woven fabrics. I went by high bust measurement and just wanted to see how that was in upper part of the dress. The neck band was fine, the rest of it definitely too small, also in the waist area. Of course I made the hips much wider. The armhole was too wide and showed gaping, so I knew I had to change it.

Time for a second muslin in a larger size (I've sewn both on Saturday afternoon/evening, it's not a difficult pattern). I took out space from the armhole and transferred the space to the bust dart. Now it was a bit too big, but easier to correct. My daughter pinned out some space center back and the side seams. I need a bit more space in the back at the armhole but further I'm ready to cut it from the real fabric. The skirt will be longer, I didn't have more of this "muslin" fabric. My final fabric will be a plain apricot color.


Of course there was no time to find a better place for pictures. DD was slightly impatient by this time.


  1. You'll love it when you get it right. I like the basic shape on you.

  2. Nice! I notice the armhole is less cut away than the envelope shows - did you change that?

  3. I just love that style of dress. It is so elegant.

  4. I agree, it's looking very good so far...

  5. I love the simple style of your dress.!! I too have a plain apricot color dress.


Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

Edit to make this post only about the technique, not my ramblings on other subjects.
This is about making a sleeveless cowl neck top with a facing for both the front and the back. In this way no special finishing of the arm holes is needed. This method is based on Carolyn’s way of making a top with all seams enclosed.

Let me show you how to do this. It’s a good reminder for myself too, I forget when I haven’t done it in a while.
First you need a pattern that has a facing for the back that extends below the armhole. Also the front facing has to extend below the armhole. Easy enough to adapt a pattern, just trace a line about 5 cm (2 inches) below the armhole. The photo below shows you the facing of the back

Step 1: stabilize the back neckline of the back pattern piece

Step 2: with right sides together, sew the neckline of the back and the back facing, press but do not topstitch

Step 3: With right sides together, sew the armhole of the front to the armhole of the front facing.

Step 4:…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Pants fitting, part 1

First, I'd like to thank all who commented on the fitting issues for my pants. I did look at Debbie's site and somehow thought it would not be the "one" answer to my problem, as I've become convinced that there is no one-step solution for me. But I think I have found part of the solution there. Tonight I spent adapting my pattern and making a muslin.

My starting point, after reading all the information was the Threads issue of January 2006, an article by Joyce Murphy Adjusting pants from waist to seat. In this article she describes "body space" as an important point in fitting pants. And it does make sense to me, as women have very different shapes. One needs more space in the front, and others (like me) more in the back.
The picture above shows the body space in my pattern, which is 15 cm. I tried to measure my own bodyspace by taking two rulers, and it is 19 cm, which means that 2 cm more is needed (half of the extra width in the pattern). The article d…