Sunday, June 25, 2017

Linen dress

If you’ve seen this post before without text: I clicked the wrong button and uploaded the post accidentally that only contained pictures.

This fabric spoke to me (loudly!) when I was at a fabric market this spring. I passed the stall once, but when I passed it a second time I could  not resist and bought it. It’s a 100% linen fabric, which I love to wear in summer. I lined it with a viscose (rayon) good quality lining and it’s ever so comfortable.

The pattern is self drafted based on the sloper from the Suzy Furrer class and boat neck instructions from her class as well. As instructed I used the lower point for rotating the darts (for those interested/having experience with her method). Next time I would reposition the bust dart again and have it at the higher point. In this rather busy print it’s not that obvious, but I think it’s a bit low.

P6251442

This photo reminds me of the fact that I still have to sew the lining to the slit in the back (and no, I’m not that addicted to my phone , it’s my remote for my camera)

P6251437

The shoulder dart is kept for shape and has to remain in the facing too. As I do usually I made the facing a top layer of the lining and did not make a separate lining pattern. I just sew the seams of the lining giving a bit more space, this way there won’t be any stress on the garment. It sounds strange, but the lining is slightly larger in circumference than the actual dress.

P6251445P6251447P6251440P6251439

16 comments:

  1. Echt prachtig geworden. De stof is ook erg mooi. Ik hou ervan.

    Groetjes,

    Dorothé

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful--I'd have jumped on that fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely a dress that can be both casual and dressy great fabric and colours

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that fabric, great dress. I would have bought it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful piece of fabric! I wouldn't have left it either. Loving the new dress ~ enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous fabric! WOW! I think your dress sets off the beauty of the print nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dress! The fabric is fabulous. You look great - enjoy wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress and lovely fabric! Every time I see your stunning results I tell myself to do something with those Suzy Furrer classes but there are never enough hours in a day :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful material, lovely dress. I do enjoy seeing all your makes and pattern drafting. I think I need to do the Suzy Furrer classes too. I completed a long course in pattern drafting a very long time ago but didn't keep it up as it was so time consuming and I was working full time, so it would be good to have a refresher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful colors for you in this perfectly fit dress. Sandra Betzina was the first teacher who recommended using a little more ease in the lining so it wouldn't pull on the outer garment. It seemed counter intuitive but it works!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful fit. The simple shift showcases the print perfectly. I make my linings a bit larger too. I read this advice in one of Sandra Betzina's books years ago. The conventional wisdom was to make the lining a bit smaller, but it doesn't stretch like most outer fabrics do. It makes sense and I've never had an issue with it being larger. It's more comfortable in pants and doesn't tear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really lovely! A great summer option! I love hearing how you incorporate what you learned from Suzy's class. I am also working my way through her classes but I am not yet at your accomplished level. Great encouragement for me though - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fabric is gorgeous! What a lovely dress for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful linen print and the dress style really suits the fabric. Great fit too. I have taken the Susy Furrer classes, and purchased her patternmaking book, Building Patterns: The Architecture of Women’s Clothing for my sewing library.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wat een geweldige mooie stof heb je voor je jurk gebruikt

    ReplyDelete