Thursday, July 31, 2014

Two garments drafted

These two garments were almost finished when I went on holiday, but there was just not enough time to finish them then. I came back with a a lot of ideas in my mind and almost started something new. But…. I promised myself to not start too many things and keep procrastinating finishing. Thus I finished these and there is nothing in the ufo pile (not counting the muslin for the jacket).
The top is drafted to my own measurements and basically a knock off from an Ottobre pattern. It’s an easy and versatile top that I now have in 4 variations and I love these on a hot day. The fabric I bought in fabric in the trip I made there with my sewing friends. After serious consideration I decided to buy it. It’s a lovely, lovely silk and feels so very soft to the skin. I said to my daughther that we should always be wearing silk. It took a bit of tweaking when cutting out as I had only 1 meter. The facing is cut in two parts and the binding for the armholes was cut off-grain, but certainly not on the bias as I would have wished.
I’m quite happy with the fit, only the bust dart looks a bit low,

The skirt was drafted after an Knip Mode skirt from the August 2013 issue.

I closed the pocket seams in the end, as they were standing off. The photos are not so clear and show a few wrinkles but it is a comfortable skirt.

Seeing the photos I like the top better with the tan color.
A few construction photos:
The under collar of the top was cut on the bias and I “favored” the seam of the upper collar. It makes for a nice edge to the collar.

For all seams I used French seams. The first pass I made with the serger and very thin Serafil thread which adds hardly any bulk. I don’t always do seams of tops like this but this fabric was worth it.

16 comments:

  1. The fit looks beautiful and that fabric is just amazing. I agree with you on silk. We should be wearing it more often, and silk CDC is as tough as nails - I dress my little girls in my silk scraps! I love the way the colours of the top go with the red skirt too. Very very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly know where to start. Okay. The fabric is just lovely. I, too, think that it looks better with the tan skirt/pants, but only because the red skirt competes a bit for attention. The fit is fantastic; I especially appreciate the shoulder length -- just perfect for you. You've made a top that I hope you enjoy wearing many many times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! What a beautiful fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fit on your top is perfect. I agree with Sandra about the red skirt competing for attention. No matter what, that top is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fit on your top is perfect. I agree with Sandra about the red skirt competing for attention. No matter what, that top is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great looking top that fits beautifully and will become a favorite piece in wardrobe I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great summer wardrobe pieces! The fit is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fit on your shirt is wonderful. What gorgeous fabric. And the red skirt is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your work is amazing. The fabric makes my mouth water and I haven't even touched it to feel the hand. I bet it's just divine to wear. And when I saw it with the red skirt it totally popped and you reminded me of all the colorful and artsy people of Eindhoven (I visted a few years ago). The red skirt is a must and the perfect fashion statement.

    I love how you have ever so slight of a blousing just above the waist, but it's perfectly smooth from waist to hip. I dream of having that close a fit. I'm struggling with the back from CB waist to hip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful top and goes so well with your tan and skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silk is my favorite fabric. Your blouse and skirt are lovely. Kudos on drafting the patterns yourself. I know I should do that more often. The fit is always spot on when the pattern is drafted from my sloper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the skirt detail. The color is a perfect with the fabric you chose for the blouse. You did a wonderful job. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on both items. The blouse is really beautiful and looks great on you. I like it with both the tan and the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the blouse and skirt. I think the blouse grabs the attention with the pants as it should; it looks good with the skirt but it is playing second fiddle to the skirt. I just watched a sewing program I taped and the program focused on silk fabrics and how it is a great fabric to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a lovely summer blouse and the print is so beautiful and painterly. I love it with the tan pants, but it does look really nice with your new red skirt too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a great blouse. What terrific fabric and great pattern drafting. I like it with both colors. I'd probably also pair it with black.

    ReplyDelete