Pictures of the finished jacket. I love the style of this and might make another one. This time I made a jacket without making a muslin, because of starting it in a weekend with sewing friends and not having any muslin fabric with me. Also trusting Burda’s consistency in sizes. I’m quite happy with it, though the neckline could have been a bit smaller I guess. And being honest: the hem band is a bit snug. I did not expect this, as the jacket is well above the widest part of my hips and normally the size 42 which I used is perfectly ok in this area. It is a close fitting jacket. Also the sleeves are not very wide.
For perfect fit I should have traced a size 38 at the neckline and widened the band a little AND have made a muslin first. But it’s certainly good enough to wear, this is not a wadder.
I did lengthen the body 3 cm above the waist. This was needed there, in the end I took the 3 cm off again from the bottom so that the finished length is the same as the pattern.
The sleeves look very, very long in the picture on the model in the magazine. Must be the models (petite?) size. After measuring the pattern I cut them 2 cm longer, ended taking one cm off again and they are the length I want now. That’s 1 cm longer than the pattern.
The cuff, very hard to find buttons in the right color.
Burda’s instructions for handling the lining at the sleeves were horrible (in Dutch at least). I couldn’t understand what they wanted you to do. Reading the instructions I understood that it would have been possible to do it all with machine stitches, I opted for handstitching the lining to the cuff opening. Worked as well for me.
There was a bit too much ease in the sleevehead. The line in the picture below shows what I took off from the cap of the sleeve.
The result is a nice jacket I'm happy with. My daughters (18) reaction was very positive when she saw it this afternoon. “That’s very nice mom”. It passed the most difficult test ;). I look forward to wearing it.