Friday, November 20, 2020

A top by my daughter

 It's been so nice to hear some of you just like to read my posts. I do realise I've been here before in the past years, which is probably something that happens occassionally when you have been doing something (in my case blogging) for so long. Sorry to have bothered you with my uncertainty and indecisiveness. 

There are a few things I will change in the near future but I'll come to that when I do it. Let's start with showing you a project that has been made recently. Partly by me, partly by my daughter.

My daughter is one of my "students". Of course she's not a paying student and it's not a weekly thing but she really likes to learn to sew. My son's girlfriend too, lucky me! I like to pass the sewing bug along and we've been sewing together a bit lately. 

She selected this top from an older Patrones magazine.

  


It was labeled "Couture facil", which means it should be an easy sew. Really? With this button placket in the back? This kind of button placket even makes me a little nervous. It's about very precise sewing and cutting and if you do it wrong, you really can see it or worse, even be so bad you want to throw the pattern piece in the bin. There was no fabric left, it had to be right first time round.

Perhaps needless to say that I did sew the placket. My daughter watched the process clearly and said she could not (yet) have done it. But the rest, from tracing to cutting the fabric pieces and finishing the neckline was done by my daughter (with a bit of guidance). She's ever so pleased with the result and has worn it with pleasure. Receiving compliments for it too!

The placket before finishing the neckline and completely sewing with buttons

.   

The sleeve with pleats

Sleeve with pleats
My daughter wearing the top

  

The fabric is from Atelier Brunette and bought in a shop in The Hague. What's nice about this brand is that they have notions matching their fabric. In this case the buttons!









28 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have 2 young women interested in learning our craft and they have a talented teacher in you! BTW the fabric you used is available here in the USA at Stylemakerfabrics. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, good to know the fabric is available in the USA too. Might be of interest to some. Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  2. That's great that your daughter and your son's girlfriend are both learning to sew from you! Her top turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done. And what a delightful daughter. She's lovely. So glad to hear you are teaching sewing. It's a gift and a treasure and a strength and a power that they will have for a lifetime. They are very lucky to have you as their teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara, it's definitely been a strength to me so it's good to pass it on.

      Delete
  4. Erg leuke top. Herkenbaar dat modellen als eenvoudig worden neergezet terwijl ze dat niet zijn. Veel mensen vergissen zich ook door de naam van het blad 'Simplicity'.

    Absolute beginners laat ik een etui maken met alle steken van hun naaimachine. Verder leren ze dan een rits inzetten. Een vervolgproject is vaak een kussen met letters of een hoes zodat ze stikvaardiheid krijgen. Bij anderen werk ik naar hun wensen maar raad broeken en jassen voorlopig af. Ze moeten het zelf kunnen uitvoeren anders blijven ze afhankelijk. Soms ga ik op mijn vingers zitten om niet in te grijpen. Leren is proberen.

    Je dochter kan al heel wat. Deze top is supergoed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dank je. Helemaal eens dat leren ook proberen is. Maar een beetje begeleiding is in het begin fijn. En sommigen vinden het gewoon prettig en gezellig om in een groepje bezig te zijn. Maar op je vingers zitten herken ik al wel!

      Delete
  5. Glad you choose to blog - lovely project and model. thank you I read your blog lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice to pass the sewing skills on. It’s a lovely top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lovely top, thank you for sharing and I really enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful top and what a delight it is to hear your daughter and your son’s girlfriend are learning this wonderful skill from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a delight to have them enjoying it.

      Delete
  9. I can just see the two of you sitting at the machine each doing your part. I am sure you are a wonderful teacher, Sigrid. The top is lovely and you both did a great job. She is lovely and has your smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she's a wonderful daughter in many ways. One of them is being a very positive person, which she shows (but I'm biased).

      Delete
  10. She looks good in it and it's perfect for work. I don't remember having done one of these plackets in years. I'd definitely have to really think about it and look for good instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, it was so strange to encounter such a placket in an "easy" pattern. My daughter said that it would put people of sewing if they wouldn't have lessons (or a mother that sews ;))

      Delete
  11. So lovely to have you back blogging! I really missed seeing your "couture" pieces come to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Therese, it feels good to be back.

      Delete
  12. Welcome back! I was missing you. Congrats on your sewing pupils, daughter and daughter in law. Great that it runs in the family. And the top is really cute, as much as its owner...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Esther, like I said in my previous comment, it feels good to be back!

    ReplyDelete