Friday, May 11, 2018

A basic collection of (mostly) Burda patterns

A month ago I published a post about planning some production sewing and having cut 5 garments. I challenged myself to finish them in 2 weeks…. good plan, no surprise really that it didn’t work. But….I’ve finished all garments and there’s not one left as a ufo. Which is what has happened to me more than once when I’ve cut multiple garments.

So today is un update post on those 5 items and a little extra that I did prior to those. More record keeping than very interesting I guess, as these are more or less basic items.

1 pants / trousers

P5110572

The grey one was done earlier, the other two were in the set of 5. All linen, all from this Burda pattern from the March 2012 issue. This pattern has a nice fit for me, though I made the leg width significantly smaller.

For the white version this was my inspiration:

P5110568P5110548

P5110543

I’m a little disappointed about the visibility of the pockets, as I lined this pair. I think/hope it will be a bit less visitble in real life, as I think photos accentuate more.

2 skirts. The one on the left has the pockets that I showed earlier. It’s a pattern from March 2010. The pattern has a zipper center front; I changed it to a zipper in the back and no seamline center front.

P5110554P5110556

3. Tops

The first one is Burda April 2010, I made it twice before and worn those two a lot. A nice basic with special sleeve detail. I made the collar less pointed.

P5110569

P5110566P5110567

A shirt that I made soon after the Burda February was released (2018 issue), but never blogged about. The pattern comes with a detachable bow which I don’t like so didn’t bother about. I used variegated thread for topstitching, which is not visible in the photos, but a nice variation.

image

P5110559P5110562

Finally: a t-shirt for which I used a StyleArc pattern. Changed the neckline but otherwise this is just a t-shirt.

P5110563P5110565

With the blue/white jacket and the skirt I made last weekend this brings the total of the past 3 months on 10 garments. It’s been a long time I sewed so many garments in a relatively short time. My wardrobe has some good basics in it again.

Now it’s time for a bit of holiday sewing. We’ll be going to the south of France in a couple of weeks and I’d like to make one or two summer dresses and will try not put everything in one post again.

7 comments:

  1. I am seriously impressed and it's an inspiration! I have a suggestion about the pockets. I think that this is from an old Threads article, that you find some flesh toned fabric for the pocket facing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard gewerktw zeg. Wit is lastig. Een rode bh onder een witte blouse is onzichtbaar zeggen ze. Misschien moeten je binnenzakken in een andere kleur?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very impressive. I absolutely love your shirts! They're absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So productive and so impressive! I second the flesh toned fabric for lining. If you are into underlining pants, again the flesh tone helps hide seam allowances, etc. Great fit, Sigrid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors you chose for the skirts and the pants and shirts are so classy. You will get a lot of wear out of all the garments and i am sure they fit better than ready to wear.

    I can't wait to make some Burda pants because the European cut fits so much better than American pants. It is because the back is cut with a longer crotch that fits under the seat so you can sit down without the back waist pulling down and being so unattractive and uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your website. I will learn alot from you. I am 74 and have been sewing all my life and am self taught. There is so much I don't know to make my garments without the homemade look. :) Making a lined vest today from an old beautiful skinny suit. I couldn't remember how to turn it and found you! Thank you. Will also check out the Burda mag. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete