Skip to main content

First steps on a blouse

As I mentioned in my last post I plan to enter the “one pattern, many looks” contest on Pattern review. I haven’t entered a contest for a long time and as I already planned to make a few blouses this is a good incentive. I know I’ve had plans for entering a contest before and not completing anything, therefore I have chosen a relatively easy project: a classic blouse. I plan to make 3 variations this month. One of them will probably a completely white version, one a printed or striped one and the one I’m working on is a white version with trim. Nothing spectacular but nice to do.

I’ve used the pattern before, it’s April 2010 Burda, number 114. The blouse with flower print that because of the colors and print I have hardly worn. But the pattern is good.

The trim and buttons (Chinese knots) I bought in Paris at “Le droguerie” last October. It’s Liberty fabric bias tape that I’ve pressed in two layers instead of four and use so that only a small strip is visible. There is a little structure in the fabric that once pressed shows these little threads at the edge. I had not noticed it when I bought the trim and was a bit disappointed. I’ve got used to it and accept the irregularity it creates.

Strange as it may seem, I sewed the sleeves first. The following photos give you an impression of what I’m working on.

 

The center front and collar stand in progress.

No sewing on Saturday, too many other things to do and a dinner out. Hope to have some progress on Sunday.

Comments

  1. I remember the trim and this is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea to do the 3 blouses. Sure to get lots of wear from those. This one is looking promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good so far, Sigrid! I am looking forward to your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The contrast trim and Chinese knot buttons are lovely Sigrid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the contrast look forward to seeing it finished

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the high contrast of the trim. I often do my sleeves first too. Unit sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trim and buttons are beautiful -- great accents for the white blouse. I've been to La Droguerie only once but it was a fabulous experience. I still have some of the trims that I hoarded from that trip! Looking forward to seeing your blouse variations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smart move, using a pattern that you already know how it fits. The trim looks really nice so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your trimming looks very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the trim idea! It makes a white blouse just a little more special.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses. If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one. Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching the si…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).