At least, perhaps boring for my blog readers. But not for me. After two weeks of a lot of other things to do and no sewing mojo (I did a lot of other fun things) I was inspired by the internet sewing community again. I’m about to sew the very famous Jalie jeans. Many, many bloggers have made this already, there are also 130 (!) reviews on Pattern Review for this pattern so I have nothing new to add. But I never made it.
Sewing jeans was a bit down on my “to sew” list. After seeing Nancy K’s muslins and ArtAttack’s review on PR this week, the jeans were back on top of the list. I have almost all that I need for it, even had cut the muslin more than a year ago (a muslin as a UFO!), so yesterday evening I finally did sew the muslin.
Before I did that, I compared the traced pattern with the pattern I traced off a rtw pair that I like, and to my surprise it was not too far off, considering the pattern has 1 cm seam allowances (the paper is the Jalie pattern, the traced plastic sheet the copy of the rtw). I’m using the high waist version of the pattern, I feel more comfortable in those.
Like a lot of others I’ve changed to straight cut legs, but otherwise I’ve sewn the muslin without alterations. To my very great surprise it was rather good on my not so default figure. A bit too tight, the muslin fabric has no stretch at all, but considering the difference in waist-hip size I’m really happy with how this fits. I’ll change the waistband to a shaped waistband, there is a little pleat at the back above the knee to take care of but most of the other wrinkles will probably/hopefully disappear in my denim with a little stretch. I’ll be cutting some extra fabric in the side seams to be sure. Not the most charming pictures:
Why did I wait so long? Also the tracing of the rtw was done that long ago. Apart from some other things on my mind there is the fear of sewing jeans. Can I really do that? I hope I can answer that with a yes soon.
Other sewing related things: the muslin for the dress is finished, posting about that later when I have some help with fitting. Muslin cut for a jacket (to go with the jeans, I’m more or less planning a mini-wardrobe). And very bad for me: my Bernina sewing machine broke down . Brought it to the shop today and won’t be ready till somewhere next week and then I’ll be away for a couple of days. Have to check how my old Elna machine will behave with the denim. If it’s not good I’ll have to wait till the machine is repaired. Perhaps I have to do that anyway so that I can use one machine for regular stitching and one for topstitching. Bad timing to happen when the mojo has returned with so many plans for garments to make.