Skip to main content

Jacket – working on the inside

Some pictures of the work on the inside of the Chanel style jacket. Thank you for the tips on recovering lost pictures from a memory card. I didn’t use it this time, as there were only 2 or 3 pictures on my jacket lost, the rest of them were intended to be lost, as I’m doing a photograpy course and doing a lot of testing photo’s that were not worth keeping. But it’s good to know, I might need it in the future.

I’m not following the instructions in every detail. I’m using a not too firm hair canvas as interfacing on the front, instead of normal sew-in interfacing. I want to be sure the top doesn’t flip over like a jacket I made 2 years ago. This might be too much for the original style, but it’s my jacket, you won’t see this when it’s finished.

The lining and the interfacing on the front are quilted to the fabric, but not in every so many centimeters, but in pairs of two, spread over the pattern pieces. The instructions tell you to adapt the quilt lines to the pattern of your fabric, if applicable. I made sure the quilt lines are between the vertical black threads in the fabric. You can still see the diagonal baste lines that were done before machine quilting.

The interfacing on the front and the back (with lining, looks much more wrinkled than in real life.

   

Instead of only using an oval piece of interfacing at the location of the buttonholes, I used a strip of thin interfacing over the full length. My handsewing is not great, I’ll make buttonholes by machine, sure with better result than hand sewn buttonholes would be with me.

 

And per instructions: tailors’ tape on the front.

And the back neckline interfacing.

Hope to do some work on the jacket this weekend. And perhaps do some blog reading again, there’s not enough time in a day ;)

Comments

  1. It's looking gorgeous. I can't wait to make another jacket, too. I like your attitude about the interfacing. I will be interfacing mine next time also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very involved. It's interesting to see what you are doing step by step. I am curious to see how you make machine button holes on such a coarsely woven fabric. I have some similar tweed that I will use the for the RTW jacket sew a long and I keep wondering how I will make the button holes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I intend to sew a Chanel style jacket (or 2) this fall, so I'm very interested in following your progess on this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure all your detailed work will result in a gorgeous jacket. I'll be reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Amazing! No never enough hours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat to see the inside construction of this. It'll be very interesting to see the endresult of all this work. Thanks for these construction posts, very helpfull.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are very much appreciated! I read all of them, try to answer the questions but don't always have time to react to comments.

Popular posts from this blog

How to sew a sleeveless top with facings

How lovely to read the nice comments on my jacket. Grumpy without coffee commented that the original artist for the cartoon (which apparently was for books) was Sarah Andersen. Thank you for mentioning it. Beckster asked about the way I closed the center back seam of the lining. I did it by machine. She also said “Although I have not tried it, I have been told that the lining can be made by using the pattern minus the seam allowance and facings.” Well, certainly not without seam allowances, it should be without hem and without the facings. Important is that you have about 5 cm hem in the jacket for this to work. And I would always make a center back pleat. It gives you space to move without the lining pulling on the fabric. Next time I make a jacket I will try to make photos of the process of bagging the lining (Patsijean said she would have liked to see them and probably more would be interested). Might take a while though, see the end of this post.-----------------------------I mad…

Dress Burda June 2018, construction picture

Once in a while a pattern shows up in a magazine that I want to make immediately. This Burda dress from the June issue is one of those.

It’s mainly the linedrawing that’s interesting, as the fabric they used for the magazine issue is not really showing the design lines. There would have been better accent options for the piping they uses.
If you’re like me and in general don’t look at the Burda instructions but do it by experience or your way anyhow, DON’T go on autopilot with this one.
Sleeveless dress: I close shoulder seams at the last possible moment. Not here, as you have to sew the bias band in between the center and side parts. The band has no seam (and I wouldn’t add one, too many layers of fabric), so the shoulder has to be sewn earlier than I’m used to.
Darts: I was inclined to sew all darts as first step and realised really just in time that the front dart is taking up the edge of the band. Front and back band! I was stupified why the angle of the band was not matching th…

Hilarious description

This week I bought the January Burda issue and browsing through it this top, and especially its description had my attention. Written by someone who has no understanding of modern, functional fabrics and never goes to the gym. Don’t know whether it’s the same in the English issue of the magazine, but in Dutch it says “Sport shirts often have the disadvantage to be close fitted.  This restricts your movement. Our suggestion: make this shirt with a full draped back.“I didn’t care to check their description of sports shirts they published before, but thought this one was hilarious.Off to trace a pattern from this magazine (not this one).