Saturday, February 24, 2018

Border print

This fabric is a fabric that caught my eye, ordered it and made it up within two weeks. I made the dress for a dinner I had with friends on the occasion of my birthday. I finished it the evening before the event, which was lovely, but then the flu got hold of me. Nasty flu, been years since it got hold of me but this time it was my turn apparently. Haven’t sewn a stitch in two weeks, but now the energy is coming back. Time to show you the dress.

This border fabric was sold by panel, only 1.20 meter long. Which is not a lot to make a dress for someone with my height. It worked, though I had to cut the facings with a seam.

The pattern is based on my Suzy Furrer sloper, combined with a neckline that was inspired by New Look 6184. Thanks Viv for suggesting this neckline!

image

I don’t have this pattern but it was easy enough to rotate the shoulder, armhole and bust dart to these neckline darts. I left the waist darts in place, as that’s better with my figure.

P2240110P2240113P2240118P2240127

Pictures from the zipper and lining. All done by machine with good result. The front and back of the dress were sewn first, leaving the shoulder seams and part of the neckline open. I love this way of construction, which I learned in Sara Alm’s class on facings.

641A7438-B782-4945-B619-053E572FE9D8 (002)BDF27746-1802-45E5-ACFB-32DDE0514F71 (002)

22 comments:

  1. really pretty! I love a border print and the neckline adds some interest. Sorry to hear about your flu and hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigrid, That’s one beautiful dress!!! Hope you are feeling better now.

    Is Sara’s method the same as Burda where they show a wooden spoon inserted in between the layers - which I never understood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think Sara's method is very similar to the wooden spoon technique Burda describes. No wooden spoon involved though.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I'll check it out.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress. I love the neckline detail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress, inside and out. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very pretty dress! Love the fabric panel print and Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My gosh what a beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful dress! I love the darts at the neck. It's a great birthday dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dress. Great fabric and perfect pattern. You are making great use of your Craftsy classes. Do you recommend Sara Alm's classes? I don't have any of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of Sara Alm's class is not new to me, but this way of doing the all-in-one facing on a sleeveless garment is a gem. She definitely knows abouth what she's teaching.
      The only thing is that I can't listen to her for a long time, there's something in her voice that irritates me after a while. Very personal, there are other teachers that are worse, up to making you fall asleep. That's not the case.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sigrid. I might check her out with the trial Craftsy unlimited.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful dress and a great choice of neckline

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is a beautiful print, even though you didn't have much yardage to work with I can't think of a better way of showing off this fabric, the finished dress is gorgeous. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully made and a beautiful result.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's BEAUTIFUL, and you did such a lovely job... I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete