It was good to step back from the draft for a day or so. This is the basic draft in my skirt block. Because there is more width to be covered than in the original pattern, I realized that I had to change the back if I wanted the center back panel more or less as narrow as the original. I had already made the panels a bit wider, but on the back that was not enough.
The dotted line in the back indicate where I started to move out the pattern pieces to create the fullnes in the back. Also a lot of notches to make sure I know which parts belong together.
This is an original pattern piece for the back.
Below pictures of how I created this on my pattern:
I traced the top part to the dotted line (in my block these are the pattern pieces marked 5 and 6). On a separate piece of paper I traced the bottom part, have drawn lines in it and spread the four pieces I now had.
The corner was curved to get a smooth transition.
The final pattern piece.
For the waistband I closed the darts. The back waisband is curved and the length of the darts were not exactly the same any more.
Here I trued the lines, adding a bit at the top, taking away a bit from the bottom. To make sure the waistband is even, I checked the line of the center back and the lenght of the lines where the darts were. There was one line I had to adjust a little.
I’ve cut out the skirt and plan to do some sewing tonight. I’m very excited to see whether this works as I see it in my head.