Sunday, March 13, 2016

Drafting the skirt

It was good to step back from the draft for a day or so. This is the basic draft in my skirt block. Because there is more width to be covered than in the original pattern, I realized that I had to change the back if I wanted the center back panel more or less as narrow as the original. I had already made the panels a bit wider, but on the back that was not enough.

The dotted line in the back indicate where I started to move out the pattern pieces to create the fullnes in the back. Also a lot of notches to make sure I know which parts belong together.

DSC_1080

This is an original pattern piece for the back.

DSC_1079

Below pictures of how I created this on my pattern:

I traced the top part to the dotted line (in my block these are the pattern pieces marked 5 and 6). On a separate piece of paper I traced the bottom part, have drawn lines in it and spread the four pieces I now had.

DSC_1083

 

DSC_1084

The corner was curved to get a smooth transition.

DSC_1086

The final pattern piece.

DSC_1088

For the waistband I closed the darts. The back waisband is curved and the length of the darts were not exactly the same any more.

DSC_1080

DSC_1081

Here I trued the lines, adding a bit at the top, taking away a bit from the bottom. To make sure the waistband is even, I checked the line of the center back and the lenght of the lines where the darts were. There was one line I had to adjust a little.

DSC_1082

I’ve cut out the skirt and plan to do some sewing tonight. I’m very excited to see whether this works as I see it in my head.

1 comment:

  1. This is really exciting, Sigrid, sort of like watching a skyscraper being built. Thanks for letting us follow your process.

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!