Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Vogue 1440 jacket - the easy way

I bought the Vogue 1440 pattern mainly for the blouse. I was intrigued by the style and even made it, though it never made it to the blog. Kay (the sewing lawyer) wrote about it and I have the same feelings on the shirt pattern as she has.

image

I never thought about making the jacket initially, as it’s construction with piping, trim on both sides and fringes didn’t appeal to me. Too much hassle for a jacket I was not sure I would like on myself.

Two weeks ago I was on my annual sewing weekend with 9 sewing friends again, and this time I really wanted to make something not too complicated and have something to show for it after the (long) weekend, that is: have some finished garments. I did succeed, made a skirt and the Vogue jacket and the outer shell of a dress.

The jacket was brought to my attention a little before the event and I considered making it in a black felted wool in my stash. And doing it like this made it soooo easy. Finished in only a couple of hours, from cutting to final product: no lining, no finishingn of seams. I did tissue-fit the pattern, something I normally never do but with so many sewing friends around that was doable. The shoulders were too wide and I changed those, but otherwise it’s straight from the envelope.

The complete outfit:

A lightened photo of the back.

Inside, I used a hook for closing at the front.

And the skirt. The ensemble is already a favorite.

To my sewing buddies: thank you for a lovely, lovely weekend. It was so inspiring again!

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I bought this pattern, too. It
    looks great
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, very chic! I am itching to try making a jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great outfit! And good idea using felted wool. No inside structure sure quickens things up. The fabric is just so perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! The entire outfit is so chic, and the jacket looks phenomenal. I have this pattern and really like your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever ansd the result doesn't look easy at all

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty outfit! I really like what you did with the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took one look at the number of pieces to that jacket pattern and backed off. You are a most excellent jacket maker!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very classy! I'm going to try this. LOVE the fabric for skirt! Where did you purchase?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'n very happy with the skirt fabric.
      bought it at a Dutch online fabric shop, rather expensive but good quality. www.jerseyfashion.nl.

      Delete
  9. What a brilliant way to use this jacket pattern. I actually love the jacket look on the cover but your beautiful version is so stunning and so much simpler to complete. So glad that I am doing some blog reading today and get to see this great idea. Tks, Sigrid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, bought this pattern for the blouse, made it and love it. Your jacket is making me mentally go through my fabric stash for something suitable, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the back of the jacket better than the front. The seaming gives it such a good shape, great idea to use a felted wool, much simpler for sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was also going to buy this for the shirt , but now is definitely for the jacket and that because of your "easy"approach. I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The seaming in this jacket really appeals to me but it's fussy and maybe a little overworked in the original. Bur yours is much more wearable and it's a stunning outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful jacket - I love it as shown on the pattern envelope, but your version is equally attractive. I looks like the sort of thing that will be worn often because it's versatile, comfortable and polished looking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see why it's become a favourite! Lovely. I think your version is much classier than the original photo, which didn't appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your easy approach to this jacket. Yours actually made the pattern look much better and appealing.!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow. I could have sworn I commented on this beautiful outfit! The seaming on the jacket is quite nice and I love the skirt print. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking outfit, it's good to see the jacket made up in a plain fabric - the back seaming is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely outfit and great design. I've just bought a new sewing machine from Sewing Makes Me Happy so I can get started on creating a jacket like the one you have produced. Great work, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like the look of the jacket without all those extra details - I think I prefer yours to the original, to be honest! Such a lovely outfit altogether!

    ReplyDelete