Sunday, January 18, 2015

Why use a pressing roll

Just a quick post showing the advantage of using a pressing roll. I’m assuming you know an ironing board and iron are as important as a sewing machine. I guess as much time is spent pressing seams as sewing them (even more perhaps?)

Two seams in a test piece of my ponte knit. No significant difference on the wrong side.

0119d63b7c26d6d145b7ef390a33074042b869ada4

Same seams on the right side:

012e7b6f72c6d8f7ce7f4e1eeea9f913ebab021b91

The seam on the right was pressed on a pressing roll, the left one flat on the ironing board. The imprint when ironed flat is visible in this fabric when ironed flat. This does not happen using a pressing roll. A roll could be made from a piece of round wood (broomstick) with a towel around it.

0112b65d1e8fb207006decf399854d5361849553e9

4 comments:

  1. I keep my 40 year old sleeve pressing roll right by my ironing board and use it on every garment sewn. Thanks for posting this!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep telling myself I am going to use my pressing tools more ... But I don't :( Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great reminder to take care when pressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sigrid, this dress is going to be fabulous!!! Can you share with us if you started with a pattern, or did you draft from scratch? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!