Friday, December 5, 2014

Projects in progress and finished

It seems I’m quite attracted to doing more difficult or time consuming projects in the past months. Do you remember the coat I was working on? It’s not finished yet but I did make some progress. I stopped working on it a few weeks ago because I was not completely happy with it. In the meantime I concluded that my choice for the pattern/fabric combination is not the best one. It’s a classic coat and the fabric isn’t. With hindsight I think a wider/shorter coat would have been more appropriate. Too late for that now. I intend to finish it, but it still could take me a while. I was not happy with the idea of flap pockets in this fabric (it is thick!) and even though I sewed them with lining fabric on one side, I decided to use in seam pockets. It still needs sleeve heads, lining, finishing of the vent….

 

coat 2coat 1  

In the Canterbury weekend I started working on a jacket with a quilted lining. It’s more or less in the same state as when I went home. There hasn’t been a lot of time for sewing this week. On this I still have a lot of hand sewing to do. Having black lining does not make that task easier in the days with short natural light.

lining

Another project I worked on but haven’t shown yet is completed. A blouse from silk that I bought during a meetup with Nancy.

 01819ac5bf9614a031f23b5067ef16fbd42c5c7059014262f81f35821aeca20eed7e40752cc9f7e7af51 0163d29d2ea88087cbee9ff684adb67a389471b2e8

I can’t remember the last time I worked with such a slippery, thin fabric. I started out without any pre-treatment and got crazy. I bought a spray starch then and used that, hoping it would all wash out without visible effect. It did luckily. The inside are all French seams (take my word for it). The pattern looks a lot like a Knip Mode pattern I have with this neckline. Also StyleArc’s Brenda blouse has a neckine like this. I did not use a commercial pattern but drafted my own, like I did for a blouse earlier this year. For the interfacing I used the perfect interfacing from Pam, Pro Sheer elegance. Highly recommend that for a silk like this (not affiliated, just a happy customer).

There might be some easy sewing in the next week or so, I feel like some instant gratification projects and gradually tackle my more difficult projects I have around.

Enough for the moment, have a lovely weekend all, and a good “Sinterklaas” to my Dutch readers.

12 comments:

  1. I love the combo of a classic pattern with a modern or fun fabric--your jacket is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your coat will look elegant: I love classic coats and trenches in unexpected fabric!
    I got excited thinking your coat was finished and that you were enjoying the benefit of it now the weather is colder.
    Please do not lose heart as I'm convinced it will be a beautiful coat.
    Your blouse is lovely too, by the way and I'll be interested to see your finished jacket.
    Funny story about poor light: I label my tights containers by colour(!) but had my thick ones in one with a generic "Dark, thick tights" label. I needed black tights to attend an evening function and made my best guess. It was only the next morning with good sunlight that I could confirm that the tights in the washing pile were in fact black and not navy or dark brown so I did not in fact disgrace myself the night before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blouse, and that coat will be amazing - and warm, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the classic coat juxtaposed with this interesting non classic fabric. It's a really gorgeous and of course your tailoring is impeccable. You've made some changes to accommodate the thickness and I think that it will look great on. What are you doing about buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colour of the blouse and your pattern making skills re getting good use :). I think the coat is going to be fabulous. Don't second guess it, it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to be a magnificent coat. Your other garments are lovely too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like everyone else, I think the coat is going to be gorgeous! Don't get discouraged. I think the fabric is inspired. All the other garments are lovely, as are all your makes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One fabulous coat, nearly done! I am glad you stuck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matching patterns with fabric can either make or break a project - believe me, I understand! I hope you finish the coat as it is truly lovely.

    I also like your silk blouse. I haven't sewn with silk charmeuse in a while because I remember how fussy it was! I'm glad the spray starch worked and washed out well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made some lovely garments. The coat is very elegant and I love the colour of your new blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty blouse, lovely shade of blue. Your coat is looking good!

    ReplyDelete