In the past two weeks I did something I’ve never done before: sewing 3 dresses using the same pattern. It’s Vpgue 1809, a Donna Karan pattern (out of print).
This all started when I was clearing out my sewing room and sorting my patterns. I stumbled upon this pattern with all the pattern pieces ready to cut. I was planning a sheath dress anyhow so the decision to use this pattern was easily made. After the first one two followed.
The dress was one of the first patterns I blogged about (June 2007). That version is long gone from my closet. I did not like the fabric a lot and have not worn it often. I made it longer this time, and lowered the neckline a bit (on the last two a little more than on the first one). Otherwise no changes, which is good after 7 years.
This was the first one I made, the fabric is linen, bought at a fabric market here in The Netherlands. After finishing it I immediately wore it the next day and it felt very comfortable.
Another linen version, this fabric bought in a shop. Very summery.
The last one was made in cotton, bought in Paris on my trip with sewing friends. Sorry for the face in this set. A smile would have made a difference.
The fabric was a bit thin and it took me a lot of time to match the invisible zipper. Even basted it was a little off after sewing and I had to unpick twice.
I was inspired to use this fabric by Linda’s blog where she posted about this outfit.
A red jacket is still on the “to sew” list, for the time being combined with a red cardigan.
All dresses are lined, using the full pattern for the lining and sewing the facings on the lining.
The zipper is inserted by machine, also the lining is sewn by machine. This method is described by Amy from Sewaholic here.
Think that’s my share of dresses for this season. I made 4 dresses, which is certainly more than usual for me.