Basically this is a very easy skirt pattern. It has a high waist and a vent at the back. I made my sewing life a bit more difficult by using a new (to me) lining technique. This technique is described in a Threads article in the issue of August/September 2010 and has been on my (mental) “to try” list. I could have sworn it was published 1.5 to 2 years ago. I was hugely surprised it was from 2010.
Not my best pictures, it’s been a while since I used the self timer, must get the hang of it again.
Here it’s combined with the Marie jacket, actually the combination I’m wearing today. Bunny, I don’t know whether you can see it from the photos but indeed I’m not a petite. At 1.74 I’m 6 centimeters taller than the length BurdaStyle drafts for by default for example.
And with the Marni jacket. This was the combination I planned. The colors are not very good in the photo, but also otherwise I prefer the combination with the black above. Think it’s the combination of a wool with a ponte top that somehow is not right, or the style giving too much accent on my hips. Not exactly sure what is “wrong” but it’s just not combining as I thought it would. I’ve worn this peplum jacket on a pair of narrow pants which felt better.
I was asked in a comment how I attach the facing of the collar: I make a few hand stitches in the neckline seam to attach the facing to the body.
Some construction details for the skirt:
Petersham ribbon ironed in shape and attached to the facing of the skirt to prevent any stretch.
HongKong finish on the facing.
Excuse the wrinkles, I was wearing the skirt and then thought of making the photos. The lining is a sort of “bagging” technique where the lining is sewn to the hem and then turned up. You can only use this technique if you’re sure you don’t need to alter the side seams. After the waistband or waistband facing in my case is sewn, all seams are hidden.
The lining needed special redrafting around the vent area and for adding space of movement. It was all in the Threads article. It’s clever and very comfortable in wearing. It took me the better part of two evenings to draft and sew the lining to the skirt. I worked by the directions and using the default seam allowances mentioned. Next time I would properly mark all lines with basting thread, it would have made it easier to be accurate. That’s me probably, always preferring to work with the actual seam lines.