Friday, November 27, 2015

Black and white are my colors

It’s not often that I’m really, really happy with something I made. Usually I do find something not to be 100 percent pleased with, even if I don’t mention it when publishing about it. This time I’m very pleased with the result. Again it’s the black and white theme. How much I try, I always come back to black and white, with some grey and red added to the favorite colors. When fabric shopping with friends it’s obvious, they will see a fabric and say “that’s Sigrid fabric”. I made the base of the dress in the sewing weeking early November and I only had to make the facings and lining. That took me 3 weeks….

Excuse the bad hairday, but here are the pictures of a very comfortable dress.

 

The dress is made from a remnant piece bought at Jersey fashion. That’s where I bought the fabric from the skirt in the previous post too. Very nice quality, stable but also with stretch. I lined it with a stretch lining and did not use a zipper. The black strips are not made with regular piping. These are made with strips of black jersey, cut at an exact width, folded and sewn between the seams. Those seams were all cut with 1 cm seam allowance to make the strips peak out at the same width.

You might remember the pattern from earlier this year. The dress I made for the knock off contest on Pattern review. I drafted the pattern myself. The only change I made was lowering the neckline a bit. And no sleeves obviously, there was not enough fabric for those.

A picture of the dress with the Vogue jacket. Too dark to see the details. November certainly is not a good period for taking good photos.

This will be my last post in a while. Work is very busy so  there’s not a lot of time for sewing or blogging, as you may have noticed in the past months. Also important is that we sold our house  and will have to move out in January. Which is good but also very time consuming.  We’re still house hunting.

Hope to post again at some point in 2016. Have a good festive season and see you next year.

9 comments:

  1. Both dresses are very pretty but I'm loving the black 'n white one with the knit piping! Gorgeous! Good luck with the house hunting and the packing and moving. Hopefully there will be a new sewing area to share with us. See you when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in finding your perfect home! Your dresses are great. You have done so well with the drafting. Very inspiring. Best wishes for a great Christmas and New Year. Look forward to hearing from you when you are all settled again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning, Sigrid. I like both dresses and the use of piping. I am, however, a "color" person and love the blue dress, even though it is not my color any more than black and grey are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both dresses but prefer the first. I love the piping. I'm a blue and grey person rather than a black and white one! Your drafting was excellent and I aspire to that. Good luck with the house hunting and move. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both dresses but I'm a black and white person myself - love the black piping. Good luck on finding your new home. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the graphic nature of black and white, too. Beautiful effort on this detailed dress. It fits so well.

    House hunting and selling can sure put a crunch into the sewing and blogging.I expect the same in the Spring as we put our home on the market in March. Stay in touch and let us know how it is going, even if it's just a "Moved!".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the black and white dress with the piping. Piping was a great design idea. Both dresses look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful piping details! Congrats on selling the house and good luck buying a new home. Are you looking for a house in the same area or moving across the country?

    ReplyDelete