The coat is not very heavily tailored. It has interlining of cotton for extra warmth as I showed in another post. Of course sleeveheads and shoulderpads but not completely fused with interfacing on the front, no shoulder stay for example. That’s for another time. I can see that would further improve it, but for now I’m really satisfied with the result. I would do a few things different next time (for example decide in an earlier stage to use interlining or not, the buttons could have been a bit larger), but we all have those thoughts just after we finish such a project, don’t we?
The pattern I started of with was from BurdaStyle magazine, september 2009.
Contrary to what the line drawing suggests, the collar is just a rectangle without any shaping. I lowered center front about an inch and shaped it to a curve, higher in the front than the back. I changed a few other details too, but the general idea is the same.
The lining is quite colourful, not exactly a style my friends expected from me when they saw it during our sewing weekend ;). As a lining it suits me very well.
The fabric itself is a lovely wool, given to me by my friend Viv, thanks again Viv! I brought her some lingerie fabrics. Coating fabric is hard for me to find, as is lingerie fabric for her, perfect swap.
Next time: my son’s shirt, finished in the meantime too.