Friday, January 3, 2014

StyleArc – Marie jacket

The first finished project for 2014 is a StyleArc pattern. I bought the pattern months ago and never got to making it. After my muslins and deciding to wait for the Ziggi motocycle jacket pattern I thought it was time to make this one up. Especially when I found this fabric in my stash (when looking for something else). I had totally forgotten about this fabric, think I bought it in New York in my 2010 trip, but not very sure.

The burn test showed me it is wool, it has mechanical stretch (the way it’s woven, the yarn has no stretch). I was fed up making muslins and took my chances (I did measure the pattern pieces). The yardage I had was not enough. After a little disappointment in that, I decided to continue and cut the upper side part off-grain. I also copied the front pattern and made it into two separate pieces. One part I cut from the fashion fabric, the other from lining. I also cut the back on the fold and the yoke with a seam. It was the only way to make this work with the amount of fabric I had.

I’m very happy with the result. It was greeted most enthousiastically by DD, who would like it for herself as well. Pity StyleArc patterns come in one size only.

Quite a windy afternoon, by now it’s pitch dark here and a thunderstorm is passing by.

In this photo you can see that the side seam is much more slanted than the line drawing suggests. I like it this time, but have been disappointed with the difference in line drawing and reality with this pattern company in another pattern.

The inside with the lining. Originally this should be one pattern piece, no lining involved.

The back is more flared than I thought it was. Perfect for my shape. I did add a few centimeters to the front side seam, but that’s all I changed in that area. The only other change I made was adding 2 cm to the sleeve length. No changes to the length, its style is quite long.

28 comments:

  1. I LOVE your version of this pattern. When I first saw it on Style Arc's website, I wasn't too excited about it. I will definitely give this one a second look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. Love your fabric choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this- it looks great on you! Great job of making it work with too little fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great jacket, Sigrid. You did well to toss those other muslins. They couldn't hold a candle to this one. The neckline is really lovely and it's amazing how it changes when unzipped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, indeed. A perfect smart casual jacket. DD can get her own pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute jacket! Thanks for explaining how you did it with limited yardage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omgosh I LOVE this jacket! It's perfection on ypu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been a fan of this jacket and think it looks a bit sloppy. Having said that your version is quite nice and fits you beautifully. What a relief after all the previous muslins :) Definitely a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can imagine you were fed up with the muslins... The jacket is great, smart how you worked youre way with the limited yardage!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that is a stunning jacket really love it on you

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a cool pattern!
    I really like it on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a fabulous looking jacket, Sigrid, and you look great in it! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this a lot and no, I don't remember you buying this, but it's certainly a possibility! I've hesitated over buying this pattern, but it works really well for you. After all that futzing with muslins this fits amazingly well without one! Everyone who uses these has raved about the drafting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great shape to that jacket. I'd never have guessed that's how nice a design it is, based on the pattern illustration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sewing year us off to a great start with this lovely jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks fabulous, Sigrid, great fabric and look.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been eyeing that pattern since it came out, Sigrid, and I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great style for you looks good and just the right balance for you height

    ReplyDelete
  19. great style for you looks good and just the right balance for you height

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just fabulous, Sigrid, and it looks wonderful on you. Great silouhette balance with your figure. You are so clever to get it out of the yardage you had. After all those muslins, a win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great jacket, looks really good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great on you! This is such a great pattern. I made my second Marie a few days ago and have a third planned.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely and stylish jacket! We had that thunderstorm too.--Katharine (not Bruno)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A great start to 2014! The fabric works well for this jacket -- so glad you made the limited yardage work, as it was worth it. The style is really interesting, as it looks so different zipped vs. unzipped. Both ways look flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is the best version of this jacket I have seen. Love it, so flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is the best version of this jacket I have seen. Love it, so flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this look! The textured wool is just the right choice for the pattern--good for you on making it work. Fabric shortage is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sigrid - This jacket is fabulous! I love it. You did a wonderful job. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete