Friday, July 20, 2012

Skirt - finished pictures

Took some time but here are the pictures of the finished black and white skirt. I used a Vogue pattern (8781)for the pencil skirt. It has a high waist, any pattern like this would be suitable for the skirt I made, and it would be good in a pencil skirt with waistband too.
image

The technique for the blocks of fabric was published in this video by Trudy from HotPatterns. As I mentioned in my earlier post on this skirt, I was on my own (with help from Valerie and Sheila) deciding the measurements of the strips of white and black fabric to use, as I didn’t use her pattern. The blocks are larger in the end than the one Trudy shows, but that’s not important, I like the skirt. Deceptively skinny (the name of the Hot Patterns pattern)? Well, I’m not the one to judge. A lifelong awareness of 2-3 sizes difference between hip and waist measurement makes that you only see the wide part Knipogende emoticon.
As to the red block I digitally entered in the previous post, it was too late to add such a block, I should have done that earlier. Perhaps someone else will take up on the idea?
To me this was venturing out of my comfort zone and I liked it. Should definitely do it more often, more plans in my head than time available, but one of the plans for the next few months is to draft myself a pattern based on the book “Patternmaking for fashion design” by Helen Joseph Armstrong that I recently bought. Not short term though. It’s a wonderful book which inspires me to venture into pattern drafting again.


14 comments:

  1. I really love the graphic quality of that skirt - it is very chic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You did it! It looks so cool and edgy. Just the thing to wear to around the hipster-set;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! And I like it accessorised as you have done with the red and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt. It reminds me of the Mondrian painting but monochromatic. I alos like that you paired it with a red belt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot that you were making this. It looks great and I love those red shoes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the look of this skirt! Very attractive on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun, unique, attractive skirt. All that patchwork is a lot of work, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, wonderful skirt! The patchwork certainly "makes" the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very elegant skirt! You made a lovely wardrobe addition!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your skirt! My colors - black/white & red. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely to see this finished and it looks great on with the red shoes and belt - I imagine you could do the same thing with many other combinations of coloured accessories - you will get a lot of wear of this skirt I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out beautifully! I love the size of the blocks. And with those lovely, elegant pumps. Are they velvet?

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!