Sunday, October 24, 2010

Last UFO done

Last week I finished my coat from the September issue of Knip mode. With this there is no unfinished sewing project any more. Feels very good I must say.

The pattern did not provide a back facing part. I made that myself, which is very easy of course, but the way it went together with the front facing was not so easy now. Wish I had realised that earlier in the proces. But anyhow, I’m very happy with the coat, so is DH, who likes it very much.

The pictures (and excuse my face, it shows how I feel, chilly and not very well). The coat is wide enough so I can wear a jacket underneath.

\

Fully buttoned up

The back, I think I will attach the belt with a few stitches, it tends to go down too far as you can see, while it was carefully pinned by someone else at the right length.

Inside, I love the red lining.

Piping detail. I think I’ve done almost all the piping details twice. When I tried the coat for the first time, I thought the sleeve tabs were too short, so I took them out and made new ones. For the back one side came out more narrow than the other, one of them had to be done again.

Wherever possible, I used another fabric at the backside to prevent too much thickness. Absolutely necessary with this thick wool.

When I bought this fabric in Paris last year during the Pattern review weekend, I wanted to buy 3 meters. There was another 1.5 meters left on the bolt and I got the full 4.5 meters at a discount. I thought I could make a skirt from the remaining part. This pattern calls for 2.8 meter of fabric, but by matching plaids and cutting the front on the bias, I used the full 4.5 meters of fabric, with only scraps left.

33 comments:

  1. Very nice coat. Can you tell us where in paris did you find the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful coat Sigrid and all of the amazing work that you did shows through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Maricou, I don't remember the name of the shop. It was in one of the small shops in Montmartre, close to a very special shop with buttons (rue d'orsel).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigrid, Your coat looks amazing. It looks great on you and the bright scarf is a nice accessory. The fabric is really special. Enjoy wearing it - you should feel very chic every time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so awesome I can hardly stand it! I really love the plaid and the matching and way you plaid with it makes it so special. Brava!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An impeccable job! I love the coat and with that big repeat it's a good thing you took the whole roll. That's a lot of fabric for a short coat! It's gorgeous and absolutely stunning on you. I love a fun, unexpected lining. I know that you'll enjoy wearing it this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - amazing - I love it with the blue scarf. You did such a fantastic job with all that plaid matching. Well done, it is a coat to wear with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love how you've used that plaid and the lining... SWOON.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh WOW! that looks amazing!!!! Great job! I love the red lining too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am impressed by your coat. It's so beautiful and well made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely coat with beautiful finishing details. I love the piping around the sleeve tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your coat is beautiful and looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous coat. The workmanship is of the highest quality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an amazing accomplishment, and one I can't ever imagine.

    The coat is beautiful - incredible workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an amazing accomplishment, and one I can't ever imagine.

    The coat is beautiful - incredible workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  16. well done Sigrid,I agree with everyone truly a great coat that is just right for you,Hope you feel better soon,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous! How you managed to not go cross-eyed while matching plaid at all the seams.... Your work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This really is an amazing coat. You are sure to get all kinds of wonderful comments on it each time you wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely stunning! The fabric is so unique, and I love the red lining, too. Hope you're feeling better and enjoying the coat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sigrid, it looks great and the jacket you did earlier is FABULOUS:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love, love this coat. It's amazing. You are such a talented seamstress. My compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous Sigrid! Love the red lining - nice surprise. Hope you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE those big bias squares in front! But don't sew down the back belt, just shorten it a tiny bit Maybe stiffen it by sewing gros-grain on the underside? I'm emphatically not saying redo it with more interfacing, notice :-), but try to sneak in a bit more body, it'll hardly take anything for you to be happier with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's fantastic! I love the red lining, it's a beautiful contrast against the black and white plaid. What a wonderful feeling to have a clean slate, with no niggling, unfinished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great coat and fabulous work. Love your hang chain. Did you purchase it that way or make it yourself? Looks so professional.

    Isn't it a great feeling to have no UFOs? It can be freeing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What can I say except marvelous? Really it must feel absolutely wonderful wearing this great coat and knowing that you made it yourself. Congratulations on no more UFOs too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is an awesome jacket. I love the way you used the plaid (and kudos on matching it all up!).

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a beautiful coat. The fabric is unique, and the red lining is beautiful, too. The workmanship is of the highest quality!!!

    Enjoy wearing your coat!!

    Groetjes, Collie

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love it even more when I saw the red lining

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your finished coat is gorgeous. I love looking at the symetrical patterns that your perfectly matched plaid make, when viewing the coat from the front. It definately looks custom tailored, not RTW.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fabulous coat!

    I've tried to find information on the Knip Mode site (thanks to Google translator) if it is possible to backorder issues. Do you know??

    Thanks,
    /Maria

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic job, both inside and out! This coat will take you through Fall and Winter!

    ReplyDelete