Last week I finished my coat from the September issue of Knip mode. With this there is no unfinished sewing project any more. Feels very good I must say.
The pattern did not provide a back facing part. I made that myself, which is very easy of course, but the way it went together with the front facing was not so easy now. Wish I had realised that earlier in the proces. But anyhow, I’m very happy with the coat, so is DH, who likes it very much.
The pictures (and excuse my face, it shows how I feel, chilly and not very well). The coat is wide enough so I can wear a jacket underneath.
Fully buttoned up
The back, I think I will attach the belt with a few stitches, it tends to go down too far as you can see, while it was carefully pinned by someone else at the right length.
Inside, I love the red lining.
Piping detail. I think I’ve done almost all the piping details twice. When I tried the coat for the first time, I thought the sleeve tabs were too short, so I took them out and made new ones. For the back one side came out more narrow than the other, one of them had to be done again.
Wherever possible, I used another fabric at the backside to prevent too much thickness. Absolutely necessary with this thick wool.
When I bought this fabric in Paris last year during the Pattern review weekend, I wanted to buy 3 meters. There was another 1.5 meters left on the bolt and I got the full 4.5 meters at a discount. I thought I could make a skirt from the remaining part. This pattern calls for 2.8 meter of fabric, but by matching plaids and cutting the front on the bias, I used the full 4.5 meters of fabric, with only scraps left.