Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More than a month

More than a month ago I started this jacket, it is taking forever. Now spring finally arrived, I feel the urge to finish it and sew some brighter colors (and sew a bit more!). The topstitching really cost me headaches. Belinda in her review mentioned no problems with the alignment of dart and pocket,  Debra H had problems and opted for a curve. I had to fiddle a bit to get them aligned.

I was not satisfied with the topstitching and the width it got to be because of it coming from both sides of the pocket. I tried 3 times, and changed the topstitching to my Bernina machine. It kept looking very poorly and I then succumbed to not topstitching up to the dart. The easy way out...

Miriam and Mem: thanks for the details of my old Elna machine, I certainly agree that machines are not made like that anymore.

8 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful, very crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your new jacket with be marvelous. I know what you mean, I really want to sew something springtime bright also. My problem - I don't know what to start up next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it loses anything with not topstitching to the dart. The rest is looking great. I am getting back to sewing...well I have muslined up a skirt. Just need now to cut out the fabric and sew it..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an excellent sewist, I know this jacket will be marvy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good Sigrid! This jacket is a lot of work but I still wear mine a lot. For me it was worth all the effort. I hope yours is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes, Burda really exaggerates. The princess curve is enough of a unique detail without cutting it up. Your choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great. I don't think that it loses anything by not toptstitching the dart. I laugh when you say you want to sew colors for spring, and what do I have planned, black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

It's always nice to have feedback on what I'm posting about. All comments, also positive criticism, are always highly appreciated.
Leuk als je een berichtje schrijft, altijd leuk om te lezen, ook opbouwende kritiek!