Monday, March 2, 2009

My hair is too short (or how to hide a too low neckline)

My next project (part of a mini wardrobe, more on that later, still planning) is a white blouse, no. 104 of the February BWOF issue. I have traced the pattern two weeks ago, did a FBA. But I had not checked the depth of the neckline. Before cutting the fabric, and based on my experience with the jacket I did check. Guess what: it's too low.

I could have known, based on the pictures in the magazine. Now I checked, and see what they did to the pictures. The red dot on the white version marks the top button, which is not so clear in the screenshot. The collar is folded higher than the roll line, which in this pattern is actually a seam. I don't often wear a scarf in that way, but it would help to cover up.

In pattern 103, which is basically the same pattern, the models hair covers the neckline! Conclusion: my hair is too short!

Though I love BWOF very, very much, I would like it if they made their necklines a tiny bit higher. If even their photographer needs to cover up, we (= the actual women who wear the garments that are made from the patterns) mostly will have to adapt the pattern, which is what I'm going to do (my hair won't grow fast enough :).

13 comments:

  1. Why is it that the models never look like it is too low on them? Everyone complains about this and I wish that Burda would figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making a blouse from the March issue (106) and I think it's going to be very low cut too. I love the idea of using a scarf to cover up - a necessity at work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, this is always a problem for me too, but I have got to start checking (because I don't).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my only complaint about BWOF - those necklines! I just assume they're too low, and it is worse when you're small and short waisted. I either fix the pattern or make or wear a matching camisole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it's not just Burda. Maybe because I am also short-waisted, and large busted, most patterns have necklines that are way too low for me. I don't mind a little chest showing, but major cleavage seems a bit silly for a 60 year old! Your red jacket is just gorgeous, by the way. I love your attention to detail--very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I agree 100%. I do look at all the BWOF photos in a cynical way now, wondering what the model's hair, handbag or other prop is hiding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right about the BWOF necklines and all the odd poses make it even harder to decide where the neckline is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, you've struck a chord - I always petite BWOF patterns in the chest area, so maybe I don't get the full effect. But it's still a complaint with me - why do the models not show the pattern properly? I ALWAYS go to the technical drawing and ignore all the fashion frou-frou, that is the only way to evaluate the pattern. And not just for BWOF!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigrid, here's a quick fix :) ! Go visit an upscale hair accessory boutique/salon and buy your long hair. My hair grows like I use Miracle Gro (a plant fertilizer), but sometimes when I go short I need a day of long. Or a day of a ponytail with curls, or a spiky add-on. A good salon with match an add-on hairpiece to your color and you'll have that long hair in an instant. It's a fashion investment, just like good shoes.

    Of course, I don't think I want to spend a day with my hair in my cleavage LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The low necklines are crazy! I hadn't noticed the hair covering the neckline in that photo because like luckylibbet I just go straight to the technical drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad to hear others feel the same about the necklines. I am short, shortwaisted, short neck...etc. so I thought it was just me. I agree with Nancy K- the models always look so comfortable with the necklines!

    --by the way, I love your previous post with your red jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't get it either. I think it was Belinda that recently commented that she loves BWOF, except for the omission of "percentage of stretch" (I'm sure there's a better way of saying that) for a kni not being listed. Someone else commented that Germans (by their nature)would probably want to correct that if they realized it was important to sewists in other parts of world, perhaps we should deluge them with comments on "too low necklines" also!
    Oh, and Kat, if you don't mind my asking, how do you get your hair to grow fast?

    ReplyDelete
  13. so glad I'm not the only one with low neckline issues in bwof. I recently could not salvage an expensive piece of fabric that left me angry that I had not checked it out.Hope Burda can fix this.

    ReplyDelete