It was a lot of work, but definitely worth it, I'm very happy with the result.
I used size 40, tapered down to 42 at the hips (default for me) and the muslin proved that the bust was a bit snug the neckline too low. The next pictures shows my alterations to the front: a full bust adjustment as described in Fit For Real People by Pati Palmer when only a little extra room is needed.
The neckline I made 4 cm higher, and adjusted the button placement and roll line. No other changes.
Two helpfull tools: the button attachment foot I ordered from Gone sewing company at ebay when I ordered my zipper foot. It has a hole where you can put something (in my case an old needle) to make a longer thread shank for the button. Much cheaper than the original foot.
The other is the collar clamp from Pamela Erny (Off the cuff style/Sew Exciting). It was a very helpful tool to turn the beltloops and epaulets.It's long and you can clamp the fabric in the pliers, so that you have both hands free to turn.