Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Patrones pants























As said in a previous post, I really need some new pants and I managed to get three cut. And instead of sewing the most easy one first, which I originally wanted to do, I started sewing on the most complicated one. That's the Patrones pattern. As in BWOF the pictures just don't show the details clearly. I would think you want to see the single welt and the detail in the back, but a large belt hides these details in the magazine pictures.

For me this is the most complicated because it has
a. Single welt pockets
b. I've never made a Patrones pattern before.

The single welt pockets are not so difficult, but just a little more work than any other pocket.
Though the pattern seems quite in line with BWOF pants, (laid the pattern pieces on top of a TNT Burda pants) I cut with large seam allowances and traced the seamlines like I always do with tracing paper.

Other changes
  • The back yoke (?) I made smaller at the waist by folding the pattern piece together. I took the BWOF pants and took out the space that I had in darts there.
  • Made the side seams a bit straighter than the pattern, just personal preference.
Then I put together the pants yesterday evening with the largest straight stitch possible on my sewing machine.

The result is encouraging. Great fit (not bad it's a stretch fabric) and the only thing that needs alteration is making the waist a bit smaller in the front and attach the waistband a bit higher. The last is only for my own comfort, I just don't like low waistlines on me. Don't know if you can see it in the picture, but the waistline is also machine basted in a lighter color. The uneven part on my right side is the pocket facing, that still extends above the waist. I hadn't even finished the pocket insides when this picture was taken. The wrinkles are from sitting behind my desk in a too much time consuming effort to re-establish the internet connection for DH, who liked my pants very much.










5 comments:

Besosmom2 said...

I have to start out with you are so knowledgable. And seeing that you are able to sew this well gives me hope that I could be a 10th as good.
The question is, considering you are making pants now, how would you make the waist band on a pair of already purchased pants smaller?
It was my mistake, I saw that one of my favorite stores had pants on sale for $7.00. Too good a deal to pass up. Well I was in a hurry and bought the normal size that I wear without trying them on?? Well I obviously have lost some weight so I know have 5 pairs of pants that are atleast 2 inches to wide in the waist band and the hip area? Is there an easy way to fix these without taking them to a tailor?
Thank you and I will keep coming back for your inspiration.

Summerset said...

Not too bad at all - the fit seems really good! The style seems pretty versatile, so I'm sure you'll get a lot of wear out of them.

Tany said...

This is good to know! Burda pants fit me very well and I have never tried the Patrones pant patterns, but now I know the fit is similar! You are doing a wonderful job! Those pants look great on you!

LauraLo said...

Great fit, Sigrid! Can't wait to see them done and the single welt pockets

Isabelle said...

The fit seems great, Sigrid.